- 1kg of green asparagus
- 1 white onion chopped
- 5 -6 cups of meat broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Cut 3cm of asparagus tips. Reserve for garnish. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1cm pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche, and then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips. Enjoy your meal!